Friday, December 05, 2008

Week 14

This represents the last week of this pool. After starting the season off with a 13/15, I have slowly run myself out of contention. But along the way, I have made some gutty picks and enjoyed some very creative dialog from the Coach throughout this pool. It has given me a lot of enjoyment and I take my picks and go head to head with my son each week, who basically beats me each week.

One other thing I will say as it relates to college football. We all know the BCS is a mess and teams get screwed every year. But each week there is always some can’t miss game, usually more, and for that college football and the BCS system works. You have to watch all the games for 4 months. The same cannot be said for college basketball. There have been some great games recently; North Carolina at Michigan State, USC at Oklahoma, UCLA at Texas to name a few. But does it matter who wins? No. Is anybody watching? B. Anthony is but I am afraid he is in the minority. College football wins in the regular season but obviously college basketball claims the prize in the postseason where there is literally nothing better.

Speaking of North Carolina, as B. Anthony said, they are 10 better than everyone. That may be generous. Unless multiple players get hurt and that could happen based on Roy’s strategy of keeping his stars in while being up 30, they are an easy final four team. Who is going to beat them? My pick of Louisville could. Maybe Gonzaga. Duke is always a threat. Georgetown? But think about this. Hansborough is the best player in college basketball. Will he do anything in the pros? I hate to say it, but no. I look at him and I think Mark Madsen with a better jumper, which is not fair. So then I think about Rony Turiaf, who is the Mark Madsen with street cred. Would I rather have Turiaf or Hansbrough? I’ll take the French kid from Gonzaga.

Standings


Coach 138
JB 137
CCR 135
Dollar Bill 133
TG 132
D43 131
Hockey guy 131
T Bone 130
Money 127
50 cent 127


Louisville @ Rutgers
Buffalo @ Ball St.
Navy @ Army
Pitt @ UCONN
South Florida @ West Virginia
Arkansas St @ Troy
Arizona St. @ Arizona
USC @ UCLA
Washington @ Cal
Cincinnati @ Hawaii
East Carolina @ Tulsa
Boston College @ Virginia tech
Alabama
@ Florida
Missouri @ Oklahoma
Western Kentucky @ Florida International
Tie Breaker if necessary Alabama/Florida point total___275______ Second tie breaker if necessary Arizona/ASU point total__542______

College picks
BUFFALO +16 vs. Ball state
Buffalo won’t win this game but is a lot better than the public thinks.

VIRGINIA TECH +1 vs. Boston College
I will take the Hokies and their special teams and Defense over the Eagles and the rookie QB.

ARIZONA STATE +11 @ Arizona
Stoopes will find a way to blow this even with the bye week. The sun devils have a little momentum, are playing for a bowl bid and have beaten Az the last 3 times.

OKLAHOMA -17 vs. Missouri
I would love to take Missouri here, but I just can’t. I don’t expect this game to be close.

ALABAMA +10 vs. Florida
This game is so easy. I think Alabama wins. Nobody is giving Alabama a chance and the press has already crowned Florida the winner. I hate Alabama as a favorite, but love them as a disrespected underdog.

HAWAII +8 vs. Cincinnati
The Bearcats will be loving this vacation. They will show up the game drunk, late and sunburned. Hawaii wins.

NFL picks
49ers +4 vs. Jets
I hate to say it, but I like what singletary is doing for this team. As soon as I jump on board, the niners will likely crash so caution should be used here.

STEELERS -2.5 vs. Cowboys
Not sold on the cowboys. They are good, but not back. They won’t win in this weather.

CHIEFS +9.5 @ Broncos
Broncos come back to earth this week. The chiefs are still playing hard.

Money

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home