Monday, November 17, 2008

NCAA Preview + Picks

B. Anthony is very excited for the beginning of college hoops season. It is hard to get my hands around the entire landscape of college basketball, but I am anxious to start making picks.

For some reason, time is a little less available. Friday night was not a great start, 2-3, but truth be told the first two games were the winners, and the only ones I had a clue on. The other
s were wishful thinking. I will keep those out of my future picks.

Before we get to picks, let me give you my 6 favorite teams. Mostly to watch and bet on!!!

Villanova- The experienced guard play, good coaching, and it is time for them to have a great year. They had a good showing against Kansas last year. Currently ranked 23rd, they will be a top five team before league wears them down!

Gonzaga- All the usual suspects, Bouldin will be the glue with Pargo, Daye and Heytfelt putting up big numbers. Plus they have a very good freshman point guard. He will make plays to help put them over the top. Another team that will spend the entire year in the top 10. I will give them 31 wins this year on the way to the elite 8!! See attached from Zags staff. "Demetri Goodson. Best on ball defender that I think I have seen, especially for a freshman. He won't put up big numbers like Pargo, but I think he will actually have a bigger impact on the game than Pargo will."
Memphis-
Just because they are Memphis, the league is weak, and they get bonuses to cover. They will look like a top 15 team until they play someone good, like Gonzaga!
I

USC- Will compete because of DeRozan and because Floyd is dirty! Trojans are athletic across the front line and back court will be steady.

Marquette
- Another guard heavy team that will have a great year. McNeal will be an all-american, and Dominic James is a great senior leader. He will stop shooting so much so they can just win!

Michigan State
- They are very well balanced and ready for a break out year. The Beat down they took from Memphis last year taught them a lesson. They will be a good team to cover big at home. They are just bigger and stronger and more disciplined than 99% of the teams out there.

Look for St. Mary's to be slightly overconfident early, but have a great run. Kent St, Wright State, or
VCU will emerge again. I see VCU cover
ing 7 of 10 games this year!!

I am leaving out the obvious, North Carolina, prognostications, because they are great and will be great all year, so why talk about it!

I think
Notre Dame will beat UConn every time they play, so I will leave out UConn, and I cannot tout ND, because whenever I do, they will disappoint.

Final Four- Michigan State, Gonzaga, UNC, Marquette: Well rounded teams, anyone of them can win it all, but I will go with Michigan State. (Traditionally, I don't like this team, but something is different, defense wins)

Top Freshman-
Greg Monroe-Georgetown- 18pts and 9bds
Demar Derozan-USC 23pts, 6 bds, 4 assists
Tyreke Evans- Memphis 15 pts, 9 assists, 4 bds, 3 steals
Jrue Holiday- UCLA Solid all-around play on a good team 12 ppg

Samardo Samuels- Louisville 18 ppg and 11 bds. (solid)

Picks tonight


Fresno State +22
vs St. Mary's- Too many points for a Midnight tip!

UAB
- 10
vs Santa Clara. Too much defense and quickness for the Broncos. The last few steals make this an 18-20 point loss!

Nova -20
vs Fordham- A good game for the Wildcats to hit 15 threes and blow this wide open!!!


B. Anthony
Ytd 2-3

(much more to follow)
BY THE WAY, THE NEW 3PT LINE AT 20'9", WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. NOT AS MANY PLAYERS, ESPECIALLY BIGS STEPPING OUT, WILL SHOOT IT AS WELL.

IT WON'T BOTHER STEPHEN CURRY, WHO SHOOTS FROM AN AVERAGE OF 24 FEET!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home