Friday, February 10, 2006

Four Corners

Every Monday-Thursday (and occasional weekend games) renowned college basketball expert, Money will be handicapping the games for you. Picks and thoughts will be posted prior to tip-off, typically by 3:30 pm pst.

I watched Pittsburgh beat West Virginia last night. It was a pretty slow evening in the Money household. It had to be if I was watching that game with no cash riding on it. While I was not wagering on the game, I was aware what the spread was. Pittsburgh was favored by 4 points, and depending on when you bet it, the difference could have been a half a point on either side. It was a brutal game to watch, which brought back a painful memory.

Pittsburgh is incredibly efficient, but also incredibly boring to watch. West Virginia looked pretty bad as well. With all that said Pitt was always in control of the game in the second half and had some pretty comfortable leads. But with the time running down and a 7 point lead, I saw a west Virginia player heave up a meaningless three point shot with .o9 seconds to go. SWISH, and ultimately, SPREADKILLER!

Last night’s game took me back a couple of years; in fact it took me back to April 3, 2004. Uconn, on their way to their title run, had a little rendezvous with Duke. It was a great game, but like all gamblers, we are pretty much concerned only with the line and not the outcome. In this case, Uconn was favored by 2.5 points. With a few seconds left in the game, Emeka Okafor made 1 of 2 free throws. Duke brings the ball up the court and Chris Duhon throws up a running, one-legged, 38 foot 3 point bank shot. SPREADKILLER! Uconn wins the game 79-78 and ultimately the championship. Money loses one week’s paycheck and ultimately sends his kids to public school.

Ah, the mind of a gambler. I remember like it was yesterday. Too bad I can’t remember my middle child’s birthday.

Feel free to add a comment on your SPREADKILLER. I know we all have them.

Money’s trip to the Bank: (Money’s Cash cow to date – 20 wins, 14 losses). The team in ALL CAPS is my pick.

IOWA+4 @ Indiana
I am starting to feel sorry for Mike Davis

DUKE -6 @ Maryland
Most feel this is the game that will get Maryland into the NCAA tournament. I feel this will cement their spot in the NIT.

LSU +6 @ Florida
When two worlds collide and come together: My favorite team to bet on, LSU, is playing my favorite team to bet against, Florida

UCLA +4 @ Washington
I am officially on the UCLA bus until they screw me.

STANFURD +7.5 @ Gonzaga
The Cardinal do not have anyone that can guard Morrison, but they match up very well with everyone else.

NOTE: There is a comment field at the end of each article if you feel like expressing your anger publicly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home